Decorative Glass Supplies stock two bandsaws for the stained glass and glass markets:
The Diamond Laser Speedster (£192 + VAT) and the Diamond Laser 3,000 (£336 + VAT).
They sent us the Speedster to try out.
I was impressed. I have been running an old Diamond Laser 3,000 for six years, and their technology has certainly come a long way.
The first thing that will strike you about the Speedster is the style of the machine. The new bandsaws come in a superb Post Office Red and look the business on your bench. And the bench foot print is compact.
They also come part assembled. It took just fifteen minutes from placing the taped-up carton on the bench to cutting glass. And that included setting up the tracking of the blade.
Things I LIKE about the Diamond Laser Speedster
- Design. Looks business like in spite of being aimed at the hobby market.
- This saw is QUIET.
- Very easy to set up. The blade tracking is simple to carry out, and there is a vernier scale to help you do it. Straightforward and quick. A vast improvement on any other saw I have seen.
- Cooling water system. There is the usual water tank on the back of the machine, and the water is directed onto the face of the blade. This adjustment is very easy to make. The reservoir at the bottom of the blade has an exit spout. You connect the plastic hose provided, and water can be collected in a bucket under the bench. Again, a vast improvement on my earlier saw.
- 2 speed on/off switch. This allows for a slow blade speed for tricky cuts. I succeeded in cutting a 4mm diameter curve without any stress or twist on the blade.
- Uses original factory produced motor (i.e., 110 volt USA). Decorative Glass provide the excellent power supply (£39.95 + VAT) to convert our 240 volts to 110. My old saw had this built in and was always failing. Another excellent improvement.
- Small footprint only 9" x 10".
Things I DID NOT LIKE about the Diamond Laser Speedster
- Build quality is worrying. The inner frame is sturdy and robust, but the front feet look as if they will be a weak point.
- The saw bench is made of plastic. Already the grinder's plastic top is no longer smooth and flat having had countless sharp edged pieces of glass worked on it, so I would have preferred a heavy cast aluminium, work surface (as on my old saw).
- The saw blade cover is light weight and may prove easy to break.
DIAMOND LASER 3000 BANDSAW
Also available from Decorative Glass is the heavier duty professional Diamond Laser 3000XL pictured here.
Its main features are:
- Recycling water pump with filtration system which keeps the machine running clean.
- Built in target light shines directly onto cutting surface.
- Extra large work table.
- Quiet, variable speed motor.
- Powerful motor allows high speed cutting and stacking of glass pieces.
- Small footprint 12" x 10"
- Mainly aimed at BIG commercial companies making straight cuts.
NOT REGARDED AS SUITABLE by DGS(UK) FOR STAINED GLASS ARTISTS but I use one.
PRICES (Last updated 2007) (Add VAT)
DIAMOND LASER SPEEDSTER BAND SAW£192.00
Transformer for SPEEDSTER39.99
DIAMOND LASER 3000XL BANDSAW336.77
Transformer for DL3000XL59.99
Click here for BANDSAW REVIEWSand why you need one.
Click here for the TOOL REVIEWS MENU